Friday 7 March 2008

The definitive festival lists

Okay from memory Deedub will be back next week so the legendary http://theblogoflists.blogspot.com/ will be running again, so this will be last of my knock off versions for awhile.

So I dedicate it to a subject close to my heart MUSIC FESTIVALS

First of a list of the top five English music festivals (In my personal opinion of course)

1. Glastonbury - The Daddy still the biggest and best in the UK

2. Beautiful Days - Still my favourite small festival and one I hope to return too soon

3. Strawberry fayre - Last of the original Fayres and best free festival in the UK

4. Reading/Leeds - If the line up is your thing these tend to have all the best acts

5. Stamford River festival - Made the for the randomness of lots of very pristine middle class people in a beautiful river side location with some mad at your Dad rap metal pounding away on stage, genius!

(I kept this list to 5 due to only wanting to include ongoing music festivals that I've actually been too)

Kit list - ten things you should always take to a festival

1. Dust bin bags - keep your campsite clean and brilliant for DIY seats and waterproofs

2. Tent - well duh

3. Gaffer tape - I've yet to not use up at least one roll of this at any festival

4. Bog roll - No really festivals don't often provide them

5. Wet Wipes - The Pikey wash option

6. Leatherman tool - For some reason I turn into Mr DIY at festivals

7. Good waterproofs - and I mean GOOD waterproofs festivals can leave you standing in the rain for hours on end best be ready.

8. Suncream - trust me sunburn is no fun at festivals

9. Military Poncho - Another multi use item good for all occasions

10. Good boots - no matter what the weather you will walk miles at festivals and night times rough ground, dropped rubbish and low light can lead to nasty sprains, I go for German paraboots personally but whatever works for you.


10 top tips

1. Take only what you can afford to lose

2. Have a list of things you want to see but remember to take time just to go with the flow

3. Put your bog roll on a loop of blue string so you can hang it around your neck when you go to the loo, it keeps it dry and will stop you losing it

4. Insulate under your bedding you will lose most heat when you are trying to sleep through the ground so a good insulated ground sheet is a must

5. No such thing as the wrong weather just the wrong clothes, pack your gear with that in mind but don't forget most stuff can be brought inside the festival if really needed.

6. Take time to people watch, some of my best festival moments have come about through this advice.

7. After pitching your tents mark in your mind three large permanent landmarks to help navigation back to your tent when you are feeling a bit special

8. Drink plenty of water, the key to a healthy and active festival keep the water levels up and it will help you deal with hangovers, tiredness and even the dreaded festival belly.

9. Look after yourself and others, take time to talk to those camped near you and they will help keep an eye on your gear whiled you do so for them.

10. When buying anything be it food, drink or festival tat get away from the main stages prices tend to drop the further from the main routes you are.

Hope you have enjoyed my journey into the world of lists over time I may add a few more, but for now I'll return to bitching and moaning.

1 comment:

DeeDubya said...

I'd have to add my camper van and thye festival tickets to that essential items list!